Monday, May 11, 2009

How much outline is enough?

I'm working on a pilot that I've been thinking about for almost half a year, taking mental notes, etc. A few weeks ago I started to make actual notes - character bios, info about future episodes, an outline for the pilot. I thought because I'd been working on the story in my head for so long I'd be able to use a vague outline. In general, I don't love outlining because I get too bored with the writing process if I've already written everything out. But I'm finding that I'm more frustrated now that I have a minimal outline -- I know what's coming but I have little idea of how to get there. And I'm getting way too bogged down by character set-up. I just wrote two scenes, a page and a half, where all that really happened was character introduction. Not, "Hi My name is Jessica" -- luckily not that bad! -- but those first interactions that tell you who a character is. And they drive the story forward I suppose, but we're so far away from the meat of the story...I read some pilots last week to get my juices flowing and I know that these last two scenes are on such a different level than those scripts.

I wish I'd made a better outline, with exactly how I plan to introduce my characters in a story driven way. It's so hard to accept that even though I've started writing I have to go back a step and outline. But I guess that's how things are.

Index cards, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment