Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Film to Remember

Sorry about the long posting hiatus...this past month has been such a whirlwind, but now that things may have calmed down, I'll get here more regularly.

In this past week's Entertainment Weekly, Stephen King wrote his column about the decline of pop culture. I adore Stephen King (among other things, if you haven't read his On Writing you really ought to. It's more geared toward fiction, but it is a definite "must" for any writer of any genre), but I disagree with one of the comments he made in his column. I tried to find the article on EW's site, but it doesn't seem to be up. But I'll share the quote with you: "When did you last see a movie that still engaged your mind a week or a month later? Doubt was nearly a year ago. Ditto The Wrestler and The Reader." His point is mostly that movies like Transformers 2 dominate the box office and have the widest distribution. Fair. I'm personally tired of this argument against big blockbusters, especially in summer, because a)they are fun, sometimes, and movies don't have to always be more than pure entertainment and b)if the studios make big money on one picture, they don't have to worry about losing money on a smaller one -- and with DVDs and hulu an whatnot, most people don't go out to the big screen anymore for a movie that won't get lost (ie, whose explosions won't be as awsome) on the small screen.

But all that aside...there have definitely been movies that came out since The Reader that have stuck with me. That I can't stop thinking about. That inspire me in multiple ways. Most recently, I would say 500 Days of Summer and Inglourious Basterds. I cannot get them out of my head, and if money were limitless, I'd see them again in theaters tonight.

What is it about these movies that makes them so hard to get out of your head? I think foremost it's originality. I've never seen anything like Basterds. A tear-jerking action comedy about Nazis? Who even thinks of that? And to pull it off without being offensive? As the granddaughter of Holocaust survivors, it takes a lot for me to see a WWII movie, much less one that is supposed to be funny -- and I must say, Quentin Tarantino figured out a way to make WWII Europe into something that was at times laugh out loud funny. There has been nothing like that movie. And 500 Days took the romantic comedy to another level. It added truth to a usually sugarcoated genre. So of course, weeks later, I'm still wrapping my head around these films.

I also realize, that when I read a script, I'm looking for that originality. That extra oomph that makes me sit up a little straighter as say "Damn, I've never seen this before, I don't entirely know where it's going, but I trust it." I can read a beautifully written script, but if its plot doesn't stand out, chance are I'll pass. You'd be surprised how many of the same script I read. I read the synposes first, and so often I can't tell the scripts in my pile apart. But, it is also key to remember that originality isn't the be all and end all. I have read some highly original scripts, but the structure or the writing were off, or the plot was way too far-fetched that it was original but not interesting. So it is definitely important to keep that balance in mind when crafting your work, so that your script is one that a reader remembers weeks later.

A quick tip for originality: write against the grain. If your first instinct is to write a scene one way -- for example, a bank heist, the robber says "Give me your money of I'll kill you," points a gun at the teller's head and the teller weeps and hands over the cash as a child cries in the corner, huddled with its mother -- imagine it differently. Maybe the teller is in on the plot. Maybe the teller is secrelty a renowned martial artist. Maybe the child runs over to the robber and says "Daddy no!" Even if your idea is absurd (kind of like my last one), it may lead you to a deeper, more original story. And if you write a scene that no one is expecting -- but still holds true for the larger premise and tone of the film -- your script will be golden.

One final question: what movies stick around in your head (from this year or otherwise) and why do you think that is? By discussing outstanding movies, I think we'll all get a better idea of what the perfect script should look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment